Meeting with a professor who is interested in you and your work is one of the benefits of attending The New School. You are invited to make an appointment, either during my regular office hours, or at a time that is convenient to both of us. Please send me a few times that you are free, preferably in advance, and I will send you an email telling you when your appointment is. Although there are many reasons you might want to make an appointment, they might include:
- Seeking assistance with reading comprehension or speed, note taking, class preparation or a written assignment;
- Discussing a theme of the class that particularly interests you;
- Talking about how this class might fit into, or even shape, your program of study.
Many of us feel overwhelmed by modern communication. However, I must ask you to check your New School email account regularly, and use it when contacting me about course work. Please:
- Put links and materials you want to distribute to the class up on the blog, rather than sending them to me so that I can send them on.
- Answer direct requests from me within 48 hours, whenever possible. I will do the same.
- When asking to make an appointment with me, send times that you are free in the first email.
- Email exchanges are not appropriate (or humane!) for discussing your work in the course or any difficulties you may be having. Make an appointment to speak with me, even for five minutes before or after class.